I was hired by longtime client, Knutson Construction, to photograph the grand opening of the all-new Mayo Civic Center expansion, which took place on May 4, 2017. The celebration included a welcome and ribbon cutting ceremony, guided tours, a video of the progress, live music by Annie Mack, food, beverages, games for kids, face painting, fireworks and so on. The weather couldn’t have been nicer and it was a great evening for all who attended. The Mayo Civic Center is named after William Worrall Mayo, who is the founder of the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.
Construction on the Mayo Civic Center in Rochester, Minnesota, began in March, 2015. The expansion will be substantially completed and its new venues opened in April, 2017. The expanded Mayo Civic Center features:
• Minnesota’s largest ballroom, with seating capacity of more than 4,000 theatre-style or 2,000 banquet-style.
• The capacity to accommodate two 1,000-attendee events simultaneously.
• Stunning pre-function areas with views of the Zumbro River and downtown Rochester.
• More than 200,000 square feet of flexible meeting and exhibit space.
• A brand-new banquet production kitchen.
• The new Riverfront Plaza, which can serve as a multi-use gathering area or outdoor reception venue.
• Venues designed to accommodate sophisticated production, AV, and wireless service needs.
• A new interactive public art sculpture by Po Shu Wang that will be located outside on the southern side of the center and is expected to be installed in May.
• Coming soon – newly renovated and acoustically enhanced Presentation Hall.
As an architectural photographer I was also asked to shoot some interiors and exteriors of this awesome project for Knutson Construction, who was the general contractor. I will be posting highlights from that shoot in the coming days, so you can see just how beautiful this building is!
Rochester, Minnesota, photographer, Dean Riggott, has specialized in commercial, corporate and editorial photography since 1991. Areas of expertise include products, agriculture, food, portraiture, hospitality, industrial, and college campus photography. Dean is available to travel anywhere in the U.S. or abroad.